Snickerdoodles….oh man, my favorite cookie ever! Not only a delicious cookie, but those of us who live on the South Shore and love MaryLous LOVE the coffee as well!
My first experience with snickerdoodles was when I worked at Whole Foods in high school. The people who worked in the bakery department there were so unbelievably nice and introduced me to my first snickerdoodle. However, I was at a loss since I couldn’t find a good enough store bought variation of it. So, obviously…you have to make it yourself :).
Its quick and easy, and an all time favorite, I hope you enjoy!
Yields approximately 4-5 dozen cookies
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare 2 cookie sheets
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside
3. With a hand mixer, or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter until soft.
- Add sugar(1 1/2 cups) and beat until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, 1 at a time. Make sure to mix well after each addition and scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed
- Add vanilla
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined
5. Form into ~1 inch balls
6. In a separate, small bowl. Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon sugar topping.
7. Roll cookie dough balls into the cinnamon sugar topping, making sure the dough is fully covered
8. Place dough balls on the prepared cookie sheet and use the bottom of a glass (lightly greased) to flatten the cookies
- Tip: Choose a glass that has a pretty imprint on the bottom, a lot of glasses have a little star pattern. Using those types of glasses to flatten the cookie can add a bit of flare and make them look extra nice!
9. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool for several minutes
These save well for about 1-2 weeks, but I highly doubt that you will have left overs after a few hours!